A favorite at ice cream shops in New York. If you wanna make it yourself, here’s a great recipe.
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
- 4 dl milk
- 1 dl/0,4 cup heavy cream
- 2 dl/0,8 cup coconut cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 dl/0,8 cup cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut flakes
- 3 key limes or 2 limes, finely grated, peel and juice
- 4 biscuits or small cookies, put the cookies in a plastic bag and crush them with your hand
- Big coconut flakes for garnish
Boil milk, cream and coconut cream in a saucepan. Whisk yolks and sugar. Pour the hot cream milk over the yolks in an even stream, whisk meanwhile and pour everything back into the saucepan. Let the mixture simmer in 85°C/185°F or until it starts to thicken. Remove from the stove, do not let it boil. Pour the mass into a bowl and cool. Add lime peel and lime juice, then use an ice cream maker until it gets a creamy and solid texture. Add the coconut flakes, move the ice cream to a bowl and add the cookie crumbles in layers between the ice cream. Put the ice cream in the freezer 1-2 hours to make it easier to scoop. Scoop into chilled bowls and sprinkle big coconut flakes over.